Thursday, November 15, 2007

What the matter with kids today?

In general, they just aren't listening!

The past week or so has been a true lesson in my patience. As a kindergarten teacher, I try very hard to keep my temper even, soft voice, etc. I don't succeed 100% of the time, but I try and pray hard to keep my patience.

I would think they were plotting against me, but I've talked to other teachers and they are having the same problems. Tell them once, they don't pay attention. Tell them twice, no reaction. Third time is the loudest and finally the light goes on and they realize that "Oh, I need to be doing something" or "the teacher actually means business". Honestly, I don't know how to change this. I am tired of repeating myself. For example, we were sitting at the table and it was time to go to the rug and do some stuff over there. So I say, in a regular voice 'Please push in your chairs and go over to the rug" 3 of out of my 4 boys went to line up at the door!! I just looked at them for a moment because I was too shocked to even say anything! finally, I said' well, I'm glad that at least one person was listening to me". Then the rest scrambled over to the rug.

Honestly, I"m not speaking in a foreign language here! I didn't even us big words! How much other gunk in their heads to I have to get through before they start hearing me? We didn't start school this way, they were doing great! the last couple of weeks though...all downhill. I'm working on some behavior mods and different ways to do things, so maybe we'll get some real results next week...

1 comment:

More Than A Single Mom said...

Can we blame it on the time change? I've been blaming everything on the time change lately.........